Hi, I’m Emily Dupen, a deaf singer turned artist (it's hard to sing when you can't hear a thing!) , stylist, blogger and founder of Dupenny; a bespoke illustration-led design house since 2009. I live in the nostalgic British seaside town of Brighton, with Jarvis the hubby, Jack & Reenie the Siamese cats and Sssnakey my pet snake of over 23 years.
On a mission to make the world smile, my designs are illustration based and stem from my love of old school Hollywood glamour, cheeky late night cabaret shows and the golden days of fully fashioned seamed stockings! Being a keen advocate for vintage style (not vintage values) , I find myself most influenced by the 1920s-1950s not just in my work, but in my interior tastes, the clothes I wear, my hair and make-up, my choice in travel destinations and my social circle. For me "vintage" is not just a word, it's a way of life, and I can often be found doll'd up, jivin’ to rock ‘n’ roll bands at vintage weekenders!
Ten years on, my husband Jarvis has joined Team Dupenny - a keen musician who plays with the international swing band, The Swing Ninjas - who now lends a balancing yin to my yang. We love nothing more than planning new adventures and taking time out of our busy schedules to appreciate the natural world. Together we strive for a more self-sustainable lifestyle both at home and in business, leaving minimal impact on the planet we love so dearly.
2019 marks 10 years since I turned my little daydream into a business. People warned me not to do it, yet here we are a decade on. The warmup's been fun but we're only just getting started!
If you have a bespoke project in mind, please don't hesitate to Get in Touch. We welcome all creative projects, big or small, from custom colourways to bespoke patterns and design licensing. You can see some of our most recent projects Here.
Awards & Achievements
• A selection of Dupenny wallpapers are held in the Wallpaper Archives of the V&A Museum in London, England
• Subversive Design at Brighton Museum - 2013 (Dupenny wallpapers were selected and exhibited alongside the works of Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen and Damien Hirst for a 2nd time)
• Dupenny's 50's Housewives Wallpaper featured in a book publication named 'Walls Are Talking', available to purchase Here
• Walls Are Talking at the Whitworth Art Gallery - 2010 (Dupenny wallpapers were selected and exhibited alongside the works of Vivienne Westwood, Alexander McQueen and Damien Hirst)
• Shortlisted for Elle Decoration British Design Awards - September 2009
• 100% Design Bursary Award - September 2009
• Winner of Shell Livewire Grand Ideas Award - May 2009